TopstepTrader has a very special guest for you this week. First up, though, Mark Meadows will take you through his MARKet Reaction for the week. Then, in the first of a two-part interview series, new Limit Up! Host Jeff Carter sits down with Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation President and U.S. Army Major General Karl Horst. They discuss how he’s taking lessons from his military career and bringing them to the corporate world through establishing boundaries, constraints and maintaining discipline. Sound familiar traders? Lastly, they end by discussing the connection between Jazz and leadership as well as the first 3 of General Horst’s leadership principles.
Major General Horst’s book, Common Sense Leadership, can be found on Amazon. You can find out more about the Medal of Honor Foundation here.
Don’t forget, we want to hear from you! We’re rolling out a new call-in line for listeners of the show, so be sure to give us a call at 855-902-0331 and let us know what’s on your mind.
Limit Up! Is hosted by Jeff Carter. Jeff is a general partner at West Loop Ventures. In April of 2007, he co-founded Hyde Park Angels and spearheaded the growth and development of one of the most active angel groups in the United States. He has consulted on the startup of several other angel groups. He is a former independent trader, member of the CME Board of Directors and was part of a small group that transformed the CME from an open outcry exchange into the largest electronic exchange in the world. In 1998, CME was worth $182,134,000 in membership enterprise value. Today it’s worth $55 Billion.
If you'd like to receive new episodes as they're published, please subscribe to Limit up! in Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review in Apple Podcasts. It really helps others find the show.
- [00:30] - This week
- [02:03] - MARKet Reaction with Mark Meadows
- [03:38] - JeffCarter Interview with Major General Karl Horst
- [04:04] - Why did you go to West Point?
- [06:52] - Where did you grow up?
- [07:33] - Common Sense Leadership
- [08:06] - How does military training relate to leadership?
- [09:21] - Is there room for creativity within boundaries, discipline, and constraints?
- [10:30] - Leadership is like jazz music
- [12:44] - Making the leap to the next level
- [14:52] - How do you take inventory of yourself?
- [16:48] - You have to have vision
- [17:21] - Effort vs passion
- [18:21] - Tourists and Pilgrims
- [19:17] - Leadership Principle #1: Live by a set of values
- [22:07] - Leadership Principle #2: Have an ethos to guide your daily activities
- [24:08] - Leadership Principle #3: Maintain situational awareness
- [25:24] - Dick Duchossois
- [26:58] - Robert Nett
- [28:43] - Outro
This podcast episode was produced by Dante32.